The countdown to the Latin Grammys ceremony has begun. Workers are already putting together the two red carpets of the biggest events and artists are preparing to land in Las Vegas, where their careers could consolidate, begin or be celebrated.
Who could make history?
In this edition, artists such as Camilo, Juanes, Natalia Lafourcade and Juan Luis Guerra have great possibilities of making history. The motto that it is “the most important night of Latin music” and it is true: nothing has more power to promote a career than to be recognized by the Latin Recording Academy, or as it is officially called in English the Latin Recording Academy.
But the most exciting thing is that everyone’s eyes will be on Camilo, the most nominated artist of the night, with 10 mentions.
Last year, the week of the Latin Grammys was overshadowed, as a result of measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19. This 2021, the Academy seems determined to throw the house out the window, celebrating the revival of the music sector as a whole. Despite the fact that many of the artists appeared to be releasing song after song during the pandemic, the truth is that most members of the industry received a near fatal blow with the closure of their presentations to the public.
The artists have also responded with energy to the call of the Latin Grammys and many of the most important will parade through the carpets and we will see them hand out hugs, smiles, statements and, in some cases, performances on stage.
Who will host this edition and who will receive special awards?
The official information includes who are the presenters of the gala: Carlos Rivera, Roselyn Sánchez and Ana Brenda. We also know the nominees for the almost 400 nominated artists and who will receive special awards: Rubén Blades is the Person of the Year, while Gilberto Santa Rosa, Fito Páez, Joaquín Sabina, Milly Quesada, Sheila E. and Pete Escobar, Emmanuel and Martinho da Vila will be honored with the Musical Career Award.
When and where can you see it?
The delivery ceremony can be seen from 8pm. live and direct on the Univision network. If you have a signal from the East Coast, you can tune in on the West Coast from 5pm.
In the anteroom you can enjoy the parade on the red carpet at 7pm. /4p.m. if you have the East Coast signal and you live on the West Coast. The delivery ceremony will take place this Thursday, November 18 from the arena of the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Will you be able to see the entire awards ceremony?
Like all years, the premiere will air hours before through Latin Recording Academy networks and the official site of this organization and there you will see the delivery of most of the technical awards and the most specific categories.
Who will perform at the gala?
Gloria Estefan, Fariña, Anitta, Guilia Be, Carlinhos Brown, Pedro Capó, Juan Luis Guerra, Camilo, Gloria Trevi, Mon Laferte, Descemer Bueno, Julio Reyes Copello, DJ Nelson, Sergio George, Gente de Zona, Grupo Firme, Jay Wheeler and Yotuel are some of those who will participate in the ceremony. Other stars will also perform such as Christina Aguilera, Becky G, Nathy Peluso, Nicki Nicole, Rubén Albarrán, Omar Apollo, Paula Arenas, Bad Bunny, Banda El Recodo de Cruz Lizárraga, Ozuna, Danna Paola, Café Tacvba, Juanes, Natalia Lafourcade, La Húngara, Maná, Meme del Real, Diego del Morao, Nella, and Myke Towers, Rubén Blades, C Tangana, Caliber 50, La Arrolladora Banda El Limón by René Camacho, Los Dos Carnales, Antonio Carmona, Jorge Drexler and Alejandro Fernández, among others.
What should you know before watching the ceremony?
In order for you to enjoy and capture the relevance of some of the things that will happen in this extraordinary week for Latin music and, obviously, the fans, you must know these 10 truths.
- 1.- Ruben Blades He is the first salsero to be distinguished as Person of the Year. This is the most relevant award at the career level, as it recognizes the artists who have marked the history of Latin music. If you remember that Marc Anthony was previously recognized, the Puerto Rican artist is just as famous for his pop productions. Until this year, no exponent solely of salsa had received this award. In addition, he is the first Panamanian and the first Central American. The legacy of this artist is indisputable and we will see the magnitude of his contribution to music when a group of his colleagues give him a historical serenade of some of his main songs. Then the public will be able to see him in California on November 20 and 21, when his Salswing Tour! Begins in Oakland and Los Angeles. The Person of the Year gala is not broadcast to the public, but long chunks of video can often be seen on social media. That big party will take place on Wednesday the 17th at 8 pm.
- 2.- Carlos Rivera placeholder image you should be taking care of your team even more, even the air they breathe. Last year he had to hand over the microphone to Victor Manuelle, when one of his closest collaborators tested positive for the covid, a few hours before the gala. When he steps onto the stage, the Mexican artist will probably have a bigger smile than the main winner.
- 3.- Juanes and Eduardo Cabra They are two of the three artists with the most nominations in the history of the Latin Grammy. If they manage to prevail on Thursday night, they would be in a position to make history.
- 4.- Yes Natalia Lafourcade He won the Latin Grammy again for “Album of the year” for “Un canto por México, vol. 2, ”would not only extend her record as the female artist with the most gramophones, but she would be the only woman to win that category twice. She is currently tied with Rosalía (“El mal querida, 2019) and Shakira (” Fixation oral vol. 1, 2006 “).
- 5.- Women would make history with a Lafourcade triumph, Nana Cymmi (“Nana, Tom, Vinicius”) and Paula Arenas (“Mis Amores”), since the Latin Grammy for “Album of the year” would be for the first time for a female artist for three consecutive years.
- 6.- Camilo, the most nominated artist with 10, only needs to win three to make history. The Colombian singer-songwriter is nominated in five of the general categories: Song and recording of the year for “Vida de Rico”, album of the year with “Mis manos”, he is also part of the nominees for the songs of his father-in-law Ricardo Montaner for the songs “Amen” and “God wanted it so.” With three wins, he will be the first artist to dominate the main categories since 2011, when Calle 13 did.
- 7. – Never in the history of the Latin Grammys has a political prisoner been nominated. It is about the rapper Maykel Castillo, known artistically as “The Osorbo”, Who for the night of the awards ceremony will be imprisoned for six months for his activism against the Cuban regime. Osorbo is nominated with Eliecer Márquez Duany, known as “El Funky”, Yotuel, Gente de Zona and Descemer Bueno for his song “Patria y Vida”. The Funky managed to leave Cuba and will be in Las Vegas with his companions to sing the song on the gala stage.
- 8.- Gloria Trevi She has been singing professionally since 1985, but until this year she had never been nominated for the Latin Grammys. It seems incredible that, after 11 albums, 25 awards and many more nominations and her millions of fans who have made many of her hymn songs, only now the Mexican artist is being recognized by the Academy and it is to celebrate when her name is announced. His song “La mujer” with Mon Laferte competes in the category of “Best Pop Song”. Another artist who after 16 years of musical career is nominated for the first time for the Latin Grammy is the Colombian Farina in the category “Best Urban Song” for her hit song “A Fuego”.
- 9. Ark She is the first openly non-binary and transgender person to be nominated for the Latin Grammys. The Venezuelan artist competes in the category of “Best dance / electronic album” for “Kick I”.
- 10. The Spanish singer Pablo Alboran He is again nominated for the Latin Grammy Awards. From his first appearance in 2011 to 2020, Alboran has received 19 nominations, but has never won a gramophone. And in this edition of 2021, the singer arrives with four nominations, including those for Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Album of the Year and Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album. Will this be the opportunity to take home an award?
-Tommy Calle contributed to this article
We want to say thanks to the writer of this short article for this outstanding content
The 10 truths you should know before seeing the Latin Grammy