Seventeen French novels and sixteen foreign novels make up the first selections for the Prix Femina 2021. Newly co-opted, Nathalie Azoulai, Scholastique Mukasonga and Patricia Reznikov took part in this first meeting on Wednesday September 8, which was held at the Closerie des lilas.
The Femina and the Goncourt included in their first selection six titles in common, on the French side, including The most secret memory of men by Mohamed Mbougar Sarr (Philippe Rey), also in contention for the Medici.
On the foreign side, this 100% female jury selected confirmed writers such as Joyce Maynard (Where happy people lived, Philippe Rey) or Nino Haratischwili (The cat, the general and the crow, Belfond) but also early novelists like Philipp Weiss and his monumental The great laughter of men sitting at the edge of the world (Threshold).
The next selections will take place on September 29 and October 13, before the awards ceremony scheduled for October 25 at the Musée Histoire de Paris – Carnavalet.
- Christine ANGOT, The trip to the East, Flammarion
- Nathacha APPANAH, Nothing belongs to you Gallimard
- * Nina BOURAOUI, Satisfaction, Jean-Claude Lattès
- * Jean-Baptiste DEL AMO, The son of the man, Gallimard
- * Ananda DEVI, The laughter of the goddesses, Grasset
- * Clara DUPONT-MONOD, Adapt, Stock
- Elsa FOTTORINO, Speak quietly Mercure from France
- * Vincent HEIN, The disappearance of Jim Thompson, Arléa
- * Etienne KERN, The flights, Gallimard
- Charif MAJDALANI, Last oasis, Actes Sud
- Raphaël MELTZ, 24 times the truth, The Tripod
- * François NOUDELMANN, The children of Cadillac, Gallimard
- Abel QUENTIN, The seer of Etampes, The Observatory
- * Thomas B. REVERDY, Climax, Flammarion
- Mohamed Mbougar SARR, The most secret memory of men, Philippe Rey
- * Fanny TAILLANDIER, Fierce, Threshold
- Ahmet ALTAN, Madame Hayat translated by Julien Lapeyre from Cabanes, Actes Sud
- Najwa BARAKAT, Mr N. translated by Philippe Vigreux, Actes Sud (“Sindbad”)
- Jan CARSON, Fire throwers translated by Dominique Goy-Blanquet, Sabine Wespieser
- Claudia DURASTANTI, The foreigner translated by Lise Chapuis, Buchet-Chastel
- Isabela FIGUEREIDO, Colonial Memories Notebook translated by Myriam Benarroch & Nathalie Meyroune, Chandeigne
- Lucy FRICKE, Missed opportunities translated by Isabelle Liber, Le Quartanier
- Nino HARATISCHWILI, The cat, the general and the crow translated by Rose Labourie, Belfond
- Mona HOVRING, Because Venus brushed against a cyclamen on the day I was born translated by Jean-Baptiste Coursaud, Notabilia
- Robert JONES JUNIOR, The prophets translated by David Fauquemberg, Grasset
- Daniel LOEDEL, Hades, argentina translated from English by David Fauquemberg, La croisée
- Ariel MAGNUS, Eichmann in Buenos Aires translated by Margot Nguyen Béraud, the Observatory
- Joyce MAYNARD, Where happy people lived translated by Florence Lévy-Paoloni, Philippe Rey
- Leonardo PADURA, Dust in the wind translated by René Solis, Métailié
- Natasha TRETHEWEY, Memorial drive: memories of a girl translated by Céline Leroy, L’Olivier
- Nina WÄHÄ, In the name of mine translated from Swedish by Anna Postel, Robert Laffont
- Philipp WEISS, The great laughter of men sitting at the edge of the world translated by Olivier Mannoni, Seuil
* These French titles are also in the running for the Femina des lycéens.
We wish to thank the writer of this post for this awesome web content
Femina unveils its first 2021 selections