It has been 1 year since the Parasite of Bong joon-ho won the day Oscars 2020, but seen from our present, the crowded ceremony with its hugs and handshakes seems to belong to a bygone era. Discover the 2021 Academy Awards
The 2021 Oscars
- Best film : Nomadland
- Best Achievement : Chloe Zhao (Nomadland)
- Best Actress : Frances McDormand (Nomadland)
- Best actor : Anthony Hopkins (The Father)
- Best Supporting Actress : Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)
- Best Supporting Actor : Daniel Kaluuya (Judas and the Black Messiah)
- Best Original Screenplay : Emerald Fennell (Promising Young Woman)
- Best Screenplay (adaptation) : Christopher Hampton and Florian Zeller (The Father)
- Best Original Music : Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross and Jon Batiste (Drunk)
- Best Original Song : Fight for you (Judas and the Black Messiah ; music by HER and Dernst Emile II; lyrics by HER and Tiara Thomas)
- Best Foreign Language Film : Drunk (Thomas Vinterberg)
- Best Animated Film : Drunk
- Best Documentary : The Wisdom of the Octopus
- Best Makeup and Hairdressing : Sergio Lopez-Rivera, Mia Neal and Jamika Wilson (Ma Rainey’s Blues)
- Best Costumes : Ann Roth (Ma Rainey’s Blues)
- Best Backdrops : Donald Graham Burt, Jan Pascale (Mank)
- Best Photography : Erik Messerschmidt (Mank)
- Best Editing : Mikkel EG Nielsen (Sound of Metal)
- Best Sound: Nicolas Becker, Jaime Baksht, Michelle Couttolenc, Carlos Cortés and Phillip Bladh (Sound of Metal)
- Best Special Effects : Andrew Jackson, David Lee, Andrew Lockley and Scott Fisher (Tenet)
- Best Short Film : Two Distant Strangers (Travon Free and Martin Desmond Roe)
- Best Animated Short Film : If Anything Happens I Love You (Will McCormack and Michael Govier)
- Best Documentary Short : Colette (Anthony Giacchino and Alice Doyard)
When were the 2021 Oscars?
Originally scheduled for February 28, 2021, the 93th Oscars ceremony has been postponed until April 25, 2021. The public opening of the Motion Picture Museum at the Academy of Arts – museum institution dedicated to the history of cinema located in Los Angeles – scheduled for December 14, 2020, has also been postponed to February 28, 2021. The Oscar eligibility period for films has also been changed, the release deadline usual of December 31 having been extended until February 28. Films released up to this date will be eligible for nomination. “For more than a century, cinema has played an essential role in comforting, inspiring and entertaining in the midst of the darkest periods”, jointly declared David Rubin the president of the Academy, as well as Dawn hudson, its CEO in a Press release. “It definitely has been this year. Our hope in extending this eligibility period and postponing the date of the ceremony is to offer the necessary flexibility to filmmakers to finish and release their films in theaters without being penalized for a hazard that is beyond anyone’s control ” .
When did the 2021 Oscar nominations announced?
The nominations are expected to be announced on March 15, 2021. According to the new calendar, preliminary votes are expected to take place from 1er to February 5. The Oscar shortlist will then be announced on February 9, and the ballot for nominations will take place March 5-10. Following the announcement of the nominations, the lucky winners will gather for the annual Oscar nominees luncheon on April 15, with the final vote taking place April 15-20.
Who are the nominees for the 2021 Oscars?
The extension of the eligibility period will give a chance to more films and in particular to blockbusters whose release, initially scheduled for spring and summer 2020, has finally been postponed to the beginning of 2021. However, everything depends on the evolution of the epidemic and the potential opening of a growing number of theaters in the United States and around the world. Tenet of Christopher nolan remains one of the most important films to hit theaters in recent months. Despite mixed reactions from critics and audiences, the time-consuming thriller is approaching the $ 150 million mark internationally. If it were to become one of the biggest hits of the year, giving a little air to cinemas fighting for their survival, there is no doubt that it could work in its favor in the campaign of Oscars. But the box office isn’t everything. In April 2020, the Academy announced that films that did not hit theaters would remain eligible. As a result, films released directly on Netflix like Da 5 Bloods of Spike lee would be in the nails. Other candidates for the streaming platform could include Mank of David Fincher, The Trial of the Chicago 7 ofAaron Sorkin and Hillbilly Elegy of Ron howard, all these films to be released in the coming months on the platform. In competition, we may also be able to count – provided that their release dates are not postponed – on the following heavyweights: The French Dispatch of Wes anderson, West Side Story of Steven spielberg and Dune of Denis Villeneuve.
Where was the 2021 Oscars ceremony held?
The 2021 Academy Awards are scheduled to take place at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood.
What will the ceremony look like?
Broadcast live on the channel ABC in the United States and in more than 225 countries, the 2021 edition of the Oscars ceremony could be less sumptuous than usual, offering a time to reflect on the tumult of recent months, while trying to raise the sector morale. “We are in uncharted territory this year, and we will continue to work with our Academy partners to ensure that next year’s ceremony is both festive and respectful of health standards.” said Karey burke, the president of ABC Entertainment, in a Press release. If the rules of social distancing still prevail in April, a virtual event could be considered (like the 2020 edition of the Emmy Awards). And, even if the rules are no longer in effect by then, the Academy could choose caution in forgoing live concerts.
What will the 2021 Oscars red carpet look like?
The arrival of the pandemic caused the cancellation of previews, galas and festivals. Many then felt that this marked the end of galas as we have known them. But the recent red carpets of MTV Music Video Awards, and some Venice Film Festival have proven the contrary. Thus the parade of elegance of Oscars could resume as in the past, there may simply be more masks and more distance between the guests.
Best film :
– The Father
– Judas and The Black Messiah
– Promising Young Woman
– Sound of Metal
– The Chicago 7
– Another Round by Thomas Vinterberg
– Mank by David Fincher
– Minari by Lee Isaac Chung
– Nomadland by Chloé Zhao
– Promising Young Woman by Emerald Fennell
Best Actor in a Leading Role:
– Ahmed Rice (Sound Of Metal)
– Chadwick Boseman (My Rainey’s Black Bottom)
– Anthony Hopkins (The Father)
– Gary Oldman (Mank)
– Steven Yeun (Minari)
We want to give thanks to the writer of this post for this outstanding content
Oscars 2021: the winners