Even if Mank is doing less well than expected, it is an honorable score for the platform. On the other hand, Chadwick Boseman does not take down a statuette.
On Sunday April 25, the whole of Hollywood got together for 93rd Academy Awards. This event, postponed by two months due to the pandemic, had to adapt to the health situation in the world. If it took place mainly in Los Angeles, about twenty places were also linked by satellite to the mythical Dolby Theater in the city of angels. Unsurprisingly, it is Chloe Zhao’s film that takes home the prestigious awards for best film, best director and best actress for Frances McDormand.
The disappointment for Mank
The Netflix film was on the right track, however. Named in ten categories, Mank did not do the heist expected. The film dedicated to the life of screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz ultimately received only two statuettes, one for best photography and another for best scenery. The platform also won the prize for the best costume design and the best make-up with Ma Rainey’s Blues. On the other hand, Chadwick Boseman, to whom Netflix will devote a documentary, did not win a posthumous title for the film. It is Anthony Hopkins who obtains the statuette for best actor for The Father. It is all the same a good performance for the firm of Reed Hasting which leaves with 7 statuettes in total.
Tenet on the charts
The summer blockbuster made its way through the ceremony. Tenet, by Christopher Nolan, wins the award for best visual effects. He caps at the pole Midnight in the universe and Love and monsters, two Netflix-stamped feature films. Finally, it should be noted that Pixar’s last film accumulates exploits, since it won the title of best animated film as well as that of best film music. Soul had already won the same award at the Golden Globes last February.
Discover the full list of winners:
- Best film : Nomadland by Chloe Zhao
- Best Actor: Anthony Hopkins in The Father
- Best Actress: Frances McDormand in Nomadland
- Best Original Song: Fight for You in Judas and The Black Messiah
- Best Supporting Actress: Yoon Yeo-jeong in Minari
- Best Foreign Language Film: Drunk by Thomas Vinterberg
- Best Director: Chloe Zhao for Nomadland
- Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya in Judas and the Black Messiah
- Best Animated Feature: Drunk by Pete Docter
- Best Documentary Film: The Wisdom of the Octopus by Pippa Ehrlich and James Reed
- Best Fictional Short Film: Two Distant Strangers by Travon Free and Martin Desmond Roe
- Best Film Music: Drunk by Trent Reznor, Jon Batiste and Atticus Ross
- Best Original Screenplay: Promising Young Woman
- Best Adapted Scenario: The Father
- Best visual effects: Tenet
- Best photography: Mank
- Best Makeup: Ma Rainey’s Blues
- Best costumes: Ma Rainey’s Blues
- Best Editing: Sound of Metal
- Best scenery: Mank
- Best Animated Short: If Anything Happens I Love You
- Best Documentary Short: Colette
- Best sound: Sound of Metal
We would love to thank the author of this article for this incredible material
Oscars 2021: Netflix wins 7 statuettes